Recent Post

thumbnail

Nautical New England Wedding in Newburyport, Mass.

Happy to share this fun + cheery New England wedding with you today! As Newburyport, Mass., residents, Mike and Erin absolutely adore their seaside town, and after looking all over the state for the right wedding venue, they realized that the perfect option was right under their noses at the local maritime museum. I'm loving Erin's Sperry boat 'dancing' shoes! / Photos by Sarah Jayne Photography.


Says Erin, "I really wanted to get married in our little seaside town, because it's a delightful destination for all of our out-of-state guests (which included all of my family). We wanted to keep things casual with a hint of understated nautical since our location was a Maritime Museum. And it was important for me to be outside so we could enjoy the beautiful weather!



[Finding my dress] wasn't a huge 'aha!' moment for me (I have a very hard time making decisions and I loved so many different styles - how could I pick just one?), but I knew I'd found a great dress when I realized I didn't want to take it off. I could have stood in front of that mirror all day! It didn't hurt that it was off-the-rack on clearance and fit me perfectly with no alterations.



We did have some wonderful antiques, though I'm embarrassed to say I didn't source them myself! We rented [some antiques] from a local designer who did both our decor and our flowers (and did amazing things with my limited budget). She refinished an old mirrored fireplace mantel and built a custom frame to keep it upright - it served as our backdrop for the ceremony. We also built up a wonderful inventory of antique silver vases and pitchers for all of our flower arrangements.


Mike + Erin's Love Story
Mike and I met when we both worked for a minor league baseball team. I used to go flirt with him in the press box before games, and then we'd sit on the hoods of our cars and chat for hours before driving home at night. After one particular playoff game that lasted for about 8 hours of on-and-off-again-rain delays, we were inseparable. Two other marriages came out of that team and front office, too, I guess it was a romantic place!



One thing I loved was our placemats - we wrote a thank you note to all our attendees and then placed the note against four different vintage-look backgrounds, then printed them in grey on ivory cardstock. We custom-cut them to size and used them as a placemat on every setting, and they looked wonderful. We also created a logo and used that for stickers that went on our plastic drink cups (for water and lemonade), and on the re-usable tote bags we made for favors. 


For the toasts, we drank out of the silver goblets my parents had used at their wedding.


By far, my favorite memory of the day was the saxophone concert put on by my husband and his brother and sister. All three had played in high school, but had never actually played together before. The wedding program simply said 'surprise musical guest,' and they all stood up and played 'You've Got a Friend In Me.' You could have powered a whole city on the smiles of everyone as we watched - it was amazing."


Thank you so much to Mike and Erin for sharing their special day and to Sarah Jayne Photography for sharing her lovely photos with us! xx.

Erin leaves us with some parting advice, "Just make a decision and move on! Chances are it won't matter nearly as much as you think it will."

Mike and Erin honeymooned in The Dominican Republic for a week of uninterrupted beach rest. ;)

Credits: Getting Ready Location : Essex Street Inn / Groomsmen Attire: Men’s Warehouse / Groom’s Attire: Men's Warehouse / Bartending Service : North Shore Bartending Service / Florist Altar Design: Brenda Bradley Of B. Lucci Bradley Design / Tent: Sperry Tent Seacoast / Dress: David’s Bridal, Oleg Cassini / Photography: Sarah Jayne Photography

Subscribe by Email

Follow Updates Articles from This Blog via Email

No Comments

About